Field No.10 Pathway Woodchip
What is it?
High quality graded to <40mm softwood chip sourced locally in East Anglia.
What does it do?
Field No.10 is suitable for a multitude of uses:
- Mulching planting areas
- Garden paths and walkways
- Chicken runs/animal pens
- Horse gallops/menages
What are the benefits?
- Field No.10 is hard wearing and will last for up to 4 years.
- Field No.10 offers a clean, slip resistant surface that is soft and comfortable to walk on.
- Field No.10 is FSC Certified.
- Field No.10 suppresses the growth of existing perennial weeds and resists colonisation by annual weed seeds.
- Field No.10 allows for clean access to planted areas whilst resisting soil compaction from foot traffic.
- Field No.10 is very free draining and holds moisture in the soil reducing the need for irrigation.
- Field No.10 adds an insulating layer to the planted area resisting climatic extremes of freezing/drought conditions.
How much do I need?
- Measure the approximate surface area you need to cover.
- Decide how deep you wish to install the wood chip. For best results 75mm – 100mm is recommended.
- 1m³ of this product will be sufficient to cover the following surface area:
|Depth of mulch:
Alternatively give us a call with the dimensions of the area you wish to cover and we will do the calculations for you.
Directions for use as mulch
- Clear weeds from area ahead of installation. Spraying off with a systemic herbicide such as glyphosate two to three weeks prior to planting is particularly effective.
- Prepare and cultivate the root zone. The addition of Field No. 1 soil conditioner or Field No.16 Tree and Shrub planting compost is recommended at this stage.
- To further reduce maintenance requirements and to increase mulch life a geo-textile mat can be laid ahead of planting.
- Plant area.
- Spread Field No.10 evenly at a depth of between 75 and 100mm (3 to 4 inches) allowing at least 10% for settlement.
- For best results reduce disturbance of mulch once installed.
- For best results top up levels every 6-12 months.
Directions for use as walkway surface
- Clear and mark out area of walkway.
- Excavate area to accommodate the installation of woodchip to required. Alternatively, pathway edging can be used to elevate the walkway above ground level.
- On areas that are poorly drained, it may be necessary to install a drainage area beneath the woodchip.
- Install a heavy-duty geotextile membrane beneath the area on which the wood chip will be installed.
- Install woodchip to the depth required.
- Field No.10 is manufactured from natural timber residues and as such may contain a small quantity of wood shards with sharp edges. It may be considered necessary to remove any pieces considered unsafe by hand prior to the pathway being used.