Field No. 19 Sharp Sand
What is it?
Washed sharp sand graded to 0-3mm.
What does it do?
Ideal for mixing with composts and soils, marking out seed beds and greenhouse capillary benches.
- Field No.19 helps improve the texture of clay soils.
- Field No.19 can be added to seed compost to make a blend for the establishment of cuttings.
- Field No.19 can be added to lawn topdressing mixes to improve drainage and aid seed establishment.
- Field No.19 can be added to raised bed topsoil mixes to improve soil structure.
- Field No.19 is suitable for a multitude of hard landscaping applications such as laying slabs and block paving.
How do you use it?
To improve clay soils on beds and borders. Simply spread a 50mm (2”) layer of Field No.19 Sharp Sand over the clay soil you wish to improve. Then spread a 50mm layer of Field No.1 Organic Soil Improver over the top. This can then be incorporated into the soil with a fork or rotovator. Alternatively leave alone and the worms will naturally incorporate the sand and soil improver.
To make cutting compost suitable for use with semi-ripe cuttings. Simply mix 50% Field No.19 Sharp Sand with 50% Field No.23 Professional Potting Blend.
To make an enhanced lawn top dressing for clay soil. Mix two parts by volume of Field No.5 High Quality Fine Grade topsoil with three parts Field No.19 Sharp Sand. Follow instructions as per Field No.4 Organic Fine Grade Lawn Dressing.
For laying paving slabs. Thoroughly mix four parts Field No.19 Sharp Sand with one part Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) and enough water to make the mix workable with a trowel.