Field No.6 Premium Grade Topsoil
What is it?
Field No.6 is a ready to use root zone containing a 70:30 mix of sandy loam (conforming to BS3882:2015) and Field No.1 Organic Soil Improver.
What does it do?
It is ideal for use in raised beds or for making up levels in planting areas. Field No.6 is also ideal for establishing new lawns either for bedding down turf or germinating grass seed.
What are the benefits?
- Field No.6 is carefully blended and graded to less than 8mm ensuring that it is always a clean and consistent product.
- Field No.6 is blended using a high quality sandy loam that makes it robust, easy to handle and free draining.
- Field No.6 contains up to 10% organic matter that will help stimulate soil life and nutrient transfer to growing plants.
- Field No.6 supplies plenty of potash which is nature’s answer to anti-freeze for plants.
How do you use it?
If you are looking to grow vegetables in a raised bed we would recommend our Field No.15 Vegetable Planting Topsoil. Or if you have specific requirements such as growing ericaceous plants or wild flowers let us know and we can blend a product accordingly.
How do you use it?
Use Field No.6 to establish new planting areas.
- Prepare your raised bed or planting area ensuring that there is adequate drainage.
- Calculate how much Field No.6 you need. A cubic metre is enough to cover 10m2 at a depth of 100mm. If you aren’t sure how much you need give us a call and we will do the calculations for you.
- Apply the Field No.6 to the required depth allowing an additional 10-15% for settlement.
- Once planted it is a good idea to apply a mulch such as the Field No.8 contract ornamental to a depth of 75-100mm. This will help hold moisture in the soil, suppress the growth of weeds and provide an aesthetically pleasing finish to the planted area.
Use Field No.6 to establish your new lawn.
- Prepare and level the area where the new lawn will be situated to a depth approximately 50mm (2 inches) below the finished level. It is important to remove any weeds, roots, rocks or contrary material. Make sure that this sub base has adequate drainage and is compacted evenly to avoid settlement.
- It can be beneficial to cover the lawn sub base with a suitable geo-textile material at this stage as this will both improve soil stability and inhibit perennial weed growth.
- Install the Field No.6 raised bed topsoil to a depth of 50mm (2 inches), then either rake or screed the soil level.
- Lay the turf or sow the seed.
Field Compost also supply high quality turf and grass seed.