Field No. 16 Peat Free Tree & Shrub Planting Compost
What is it?
Field No.16 Peat Free Tree and Shrub planting compost is specifically designed to give trees, shrubs and perennials the perfect head start when planting out into areas where the existing soil/substrate is lacking in organic matter and the nutrients required for healthy plant growth.
What does it do?
This product is best used where the existing top soil is of a sub-optimal quality to sustain healthy plant growth. Field No.16 is particularly beneficial when planting needs to take place outside of the ideal planting season of October to April.
- Field No.16 contains balanced levels of major nutrients and trace elements that will be slowly released to meet the tree or shrubs requirements.
- Field No.16 contains a stable blend of organic substrates that maintain critical physico-chemical properties such as pH and electrical conductivity so as to hold nutrients in the root zone whilst reducing leaching.
- Field No.16 introduces stable organic matter that will stimulate macro fauna such as worms that naturally encourages the expansion of the root zone beyond the planting pit.
- Field No.16 contains beneficial micro-organisms that will help to inhibit plant diseases.
- Field No. 16 will both encourage drainage whilst holding some moisture in the root zone reducing the requirement for irrigation during hot, dry summer weather conditions.
How do you use it?
- Simply dig the planting pit two to three times the size of the root ball/pot as normal and then blend the Field No. 16 at a ratio of 50:50 with the excavated soil.
- Remove the tree/shrub from its pot or unwrap the root ball and gently tease out the roots.
- Loosen the base of the pit with a fork and then fill the planting pit with the mixture so that the plant sits slightly proud of the surrounding soil. If planting large trees or shrubs it is advisable to attach a stake or root ball anchor system at this stage.
- Fill the area around the plant with the remaining mixture, firming it in as you go to eliminate air pockets.
- Water in according to the weather conditions.
- Once planted it is a good idea to apply a mulch such as the Field No. 8 Ornamental Bark Mulch around the plant to a depth of 75-100mm. This will help hold moisture in soil, suppress the growth of weeds and provide an aesthetically pleasing finish to the planted area.