Field No.17 – Ericaceous Topsoil Blend
What is it?
Ericaceous Topsoil blend is a special purpose low pH growing media for plants that prefer acidic conditions. It is manufactured from naturally enriched acid soil recovered from a heathland restoration project in the East of England.
What is it for?
It is ideal for use in pots, planters and raised beds when growing species such as Rhododendrons, Pieris, Azalea’s, Magnolia’s and Camelia’s.
- Field No.17 contains balanced levels of major nutrients and trace elements that will be slowly released to meet the plants requirements.
- Field No.17 is a stable blend of organic substrates that maintain critical physico-chemical properties such as pH and electrical conductivity so as to hold nutrients in the root zone whilst reducing leaching.
- Field No.17 is free draining whilst holding some moisture in the root zone reducing the requirement for irrigation during hot, dry summer weather conditions.
How do you use it?
For use in raised beds simply fill the bed with the Field No.17 Ericaceous Topsoil Blend then plant the chosen ericaceous plant species. Once the raised bed is planted it is beneficial to apply a mulch such as Field No.8 Ornamental Bark Mulch around the plants to a depth of 75-100mm.
For use in pots follow these simple steps:
- Prepare the container or raised bed, ensuring it is able to drain excess water through the base.
- Remove the plant from its current pot and gently tease out the roots.
- Fill the base of the pot/container with the Field No.17 so that the top of the root ball sits just below the top of the pot/container.
- Fill the area around the plant with Field No.17, firming it in as you go so as to eliminate air pockets.
- Water in according to the weather conditions. If planted indoors or in a pot standing on a hard area, make sure there is an adequate drip tray/saucer to collect excess water.
- Once planted in a pot it is a good idea to apply a mulch product such as the Field No. 11 Pot Mulch to depth of about 15mm. This will help hold moisture in the pot/container, suppress the growth of weeds and liverworts, plus provide an aesthetically pleasing finish.